Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Positive things about having a child with special needs

The positive things about having a special needs child

1. I get to hold my almost 3 year old as he falls asleep. (not all the time, he does have to go to bed by himself at night)
2. He can entertain himself for hours in one spot on the floor.
3. I don't have to run after him all day.
4. He rarely gets dirty.
5. He has opened my eyes to compassion and patience. (still working on the patience but getting better)
6. He can sit on our lap for hours without getting fussy or wanting down.
7. He has changed who I am and how I view the world and other people.
8. He has taken Nathan and I on a journey that we would have never dreamed of or asked for but, WOW, it is going to be an awesome ride for sure.
9. What we go through with him brings Nathan and I closer everyday.  (it is a LOT of work because we are so different and deal with everything in opposite ways but so worth it)
10. I get to learn about things I would have never even thought about before I had him. (I really do love learning things about the way our bodies and minds work, just wish we had more info)
11. I still complain (too often) but when I do I always think about how hard it is for him to do everyday things and I think twice about my complaints and how trivial they really are.
12. My house gets messy from me and not from toys all over the house.
13. He doesn't hurt himself by running, falling, jumping or any of the other crazy stuff little ones do.

There are others but I will just post another list as I think of them.

Please believe I would take every one of these things everyday if it meant life didn't have to be so hard for Zach, but for now this is not the plan that God has for us.  I want to accept and thank God every day for the gift he has given us in Zachary, no wishing he was different,  just accepting what ever Gods plan is. My only wish would be that life didn't have to be so hard for my little man, but really life is hard for everyone just in different ways, Zachs difficulty just happens to be physical for now. Zach is not ours, he belongs to God and He has trusted us to do everything possible for Zach, and we will, no matter what it takes.

I will never stop praying that God's plan for Zach includes the healing of damage in his brain in some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment