Sunday, March 7, 2010

Massage Therapy

I can't tell you how many times I have been told how lucky Zach is to have a mom who is a massage therapist.  I wish I could tell you I have been good about giving him massages every day to help out his high tone and tight muscles, but I have not been near as good as I would have hoped.

I have made a new commitment though. I want to try my best to give Zach a bath each morning followed by a 30 minute massage.  I worked on him a couple of times last week and then again this morning and every time I do it just reminds me how good it is for his little body.  His muscles just get so tight and being a therapist I know how good massage is for muscles like his.

I wish I had all kinds of tips to post on what to do and how, but off the top of my head I don't have much right now.  We do have an old YouTube video you can check out at http://www.youtube.com/ncharlan#p/u/16/JU8Dlz3O25Q  I just want to say how much I dislike myself in this video and hope to do a new one very soon.  The night we made this video was not planned and Nathan caught me totally off guard. Sorry if I seem snotty at all; I just didn't want to be on camera that night!

Another question I get a lot is about the heating pad I use in the video. If you are interested you can just follow this link http://www.migunworld.com/healthy_mat.php
This mat has been wonderful for us and was totally worth it.  I was lucky to have worked at a Migun store so that is how I found out about them.

Let me know if you have any questions about massage or working with little kiddos.  Feel free to ask me anything.

3 comments:

  1. I've been massaging Avery's back and legs every night before she goes to bed, but of course I have no idea what I'm doing, so I don't know how much good it's really doing. But she has all sorts of knots and stuff all over her thighs and calves, so I've just been using lotion and rubbing, and I have been trying to sneak stretches and stuff in, but usually the only ones I can get away with are the ankle ones. Avery's legs look a lot like Zach's in the video with the pointy feet and stuff. I will definitely be watching the video several more times to get tips and stuff from it. Thanks for posting it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee, I think you should take some time and write down the things that you HAVE done for Zach and Nathan. In the short time that we've reconnected you've proved to be an amazing mom and wife, as well as a new/old friend. You've made videos of Zach (some parents don't even take pictures of their kids, he's going to LOVE this when he's older), you've created this amazing fund for him to help get him to Germany (along with a very thorough website), you give him PT, you give him all of your heart.

    You can't do everything. If you think that massaging him adds huge value, maybe reprioritize some of the other things your doing. If it means spending less time working on his website to massage him, perhaps try that?

    Don't beat yourself up so much. You have helped so many people both directly and indirectly. You and Nathan are amazing people. Be sure to take some me time as well. You don't want to burn out. It's important to do when you have kids that don't require special attention, but it's more important to do when you do.

    There is no need to feel guilty, just try to work things differently.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I didn't proof read before I sent it, so clearly you can see all my grammatical (your - you're) and spelling errors. LOL .. oops

    ReplyDelete