Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 10,11,12&13-Content with Who They Are?

If, as parents of children with special needs, we sit around and complain about the things that make our lives different from those around us, how will we ever teach our children to be content with the way they are?

This thought has come to my mind a lot lately after realizing I think a lot about how heavy Zak is, how I wish he could walk, how I wish he could at least get himself into sitting, wish he could talk, wish he was potty trained… Really, why do I do this? There is no use for it - NONE.

When I hear others complain about their child it makes me so sad, and yet I do it myself. Our lives may be different, but that’s all it is - different. Everyone has challenges. If Zak could walk then I would have to chase him around everywhere and I would probably complain about that. Zak also fights me to the death to do any of his homework (I know homework in pre-school is silly, but it’s so they can learn responsibility), kind of a scary thing to think about as he gets older. If he’s fighting me now, what is going to happen in the future?!?!

If I want the world to see and respect the good things about my son, then I need to try my best to only see those things. If I want my son to grow up with confidence in who he is no matter what, then I need to show him that I, too, believe in him no matter what. I want to teach him that he is loved unconditionally not only by his parents, but by God, the One who knit him together in my womb, the One who makes no mistakes.

Tomorrow I will write about how are we to do this when we, ourselves, have so many insecurities?

Enjoy the video of Zak doing his homework, for all you homeschooling moms, God Bless You!

No comments:

Post a Comment