Monday, March 1, 2010

Conductive Education

Conductive Education, often described as rehabilitation through learning, was founded by Dr. Andras Peto in Budapest, Hungary, in 1948.  Peto devised this unique, intensive group method of special education, which expects and demands active learning and participation by the child in attempting to overcome his/her motor disability (i.e. cerebral palsy, traumatic brain injury, cerebral vascular accidents, etc.).  
The conductors are responsible for facilitating education, utilizing concepts of goal directed activity, verbal regulation, and group dynamics.
Conductive Education focuses on the whole person, recognizing physical, social, intellectual, and emotional aspects of learning.  Focus is on functional skills such as dressing, feeding, and walking.  Ultimately, Conductive Education is the complex development of the personality.  

Zach has  been doing Conductive Education now for almost 6 months. We only go once a week to once a month depending on if we have the funds that month or not. Even with the small amount we can afford for him to go we have seen some things that make us so happy and so worth the time and money.
In just the first month of Conductive we started seeing much better trunk control and he has become much more aware of his larger environment.  He has also started to understand the idea of potty training, he still does not have the words to let us know he needs to go but every time we put him on the potty he will go.  This is something I did not give him enough credit for, I would have never even tried potty training with him because of the lack of communication about it on his part. 

I know that this is just the beginning of many things he will surprise me with over the years.  I am so excited to see all the things to come that he WILL do,  at this point I am just not interested in the things he can't do.  I'm sure we will come across things in the future but at this point I say "the negatives can wait, he is only 3.  The future will bring what it may but we will tackle it as it comes."


 

 

5 comments:

  1. What an awesome thing! Do you care if I share this post on kidz? I think this is something other parents would want to know about and try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks and sounds really interesting....I'll have to look into whether anyone in our area does it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Renee, I said it from the beginning when I first saw the video for EF Zach reminds me of Hailey. I am so glad to hear that he is doing well with CE I really can not wait to start. I'm wondering what facility you go to. I didn't realize that you could go at random times. thanks for the info and keep in touch. Also thanks for following my blog and I will be following you. Lots of Love and prayers to you and your family. You and Nathan seem to be about the same age as my son and daughter in law. Stay strong! Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elsewhere you have asked for a little feedback. Here's some bief initial orientation:

    http://www.conductive-world.info/2010/03/it-is-all-going-so-terribly-wrong.html

    As for what you have written here, you are so nearly almost there! Lose the 'therapy' and the 'therapists', forget even the 'functional skills' (secondary, not 'the focus'), and really go for what you write about (and see happening): developing Zach's personality, and corrspondingly yours.

    Andrew Sutton.

    ReplyDelete