Wednesday, April 14, 2010

5 years

Our 5 year wedding anniversary is the 16th (day after tax day) but Nathan is traveling for work so we celebrated last weekend with 2 days and a night away together.  We only went 10 mins from home but it is one of our favorite hotels with tons of stuff to do in the area.  We had a great time together getting, massages, going in the hot tub and steam room, seeing a movie, eating yummy food and getting wedding ring tattoos.


It's kind of funny how I react to time away from Zach, all I think about some days is having time away with Nathan or even just by myself but when I get it, it feels so strange. I feel like something is missing when I am away from him and can't wait to see him again. 

With this said I think it is really important to move past these feelings and spend time with your spouse, alone.  Even spending time just taking care of yourself can be so important. 

There is so much emotional stress that comes with raising a child with special needs and if you do not WORK on your relationship it will not make it through.  We get so lost in the things that need to get done on a daily basis that with out time together we would just lose each other.  In my opinion we do not get enough alone time but it makes when we do that much better!!!

 How do you go about getting time alone? Who watches the kids?  How much time away is "enough" time?

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your 5 year anniversary :) And good for you for getting away for a little bit of time alone together! You're right, it's definitely essential to a marriage for spouses to spend time together away from the stress of the children, who we absolutely adore! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your 5th and good for you guys for getting away! Andy and I got away for two nights last year for our 5th anniversary. I was so glad we did. It's good for a marriage. I know what you mean about leaving Zach...I always feel weird when I'm apart from Elijah...like I forgot to bring my left arm or something. But, you're right, it's important to move past those feelings and make the time for your spouse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your anniversary! I am so glad you were able to get away. My hubby and I are able to get away every so often during the day. My sister lives in town and knows how to take care of Marissa, so she lets us go to dinner and a movie, and such. We have yet to go overnight because of Marissa's trach, but we are grateful and lucky to get away for the day. Hopefully, Marissa will get her trach out by the end of the summer and we can finally get away overnight. You are so right about needing that time away with your spouse.

    ReplyDelete